Ontario's social assistance programs
Ontario's social assistance programs help residents of Ontario who are in financial need. The programs provide:
- money to help cover the cost of basic needs for adults, such as food
- money to help cover housing costs for adults and their families, and
- employment assistance to help individuals prepare for, find and keep a job.
There are two different social assistance programs:
- Ontario Works, and
- Ontario Disability Support Program.
What is Ontario Works
If you need money right away to pay for food and housing, Ontario Works may be able to help you.
To qualify, you must be willing to participate in activities to help you find a job.
If you are eligible, you may also receive health and other benefits for yourself and your family.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for Ontario Works, you must:
- live in Ontario
- need money right away to help pay for food and shelter, and
- be willing to take part in activities that will help you find a job.
How Ontario Works can help you ?
If you qualify, Ontario Works can provide you with:
You may also receive health benefits for yourself and your family, including drug and dental coverage. Additional benefits may also be available to you.